When Charleston County police caught up with Lucius Crawford on a spring day in 1977, the 24-year-old ex-con told them he was grateful they had stopped him from hurting more women.

Read more

Click here to read more about Lucius Crawford’s activity in New York.

Crawford had approached five women in less than a week’s time and plunged a knife into each one after chatting them up on the street.

After stabbing his last victim three times in the chest in North Charleston, he sauntered over to his sister’s house for a bite to eat. But thoughts of the police closing in tugged at his mind.

“I am glad you all caught up with me because I could not sleep at night because I thought the police were outside,” he told investigators in a written statement after his April 19, 1977, arrest. “Then I sometimes say to myself, you done messed up. I say to myself, if you commit a crime, you have to pay for it and then I asked myself why do you do this thing.”

Some 35 years later, investigators in New York are asking Crawford that same question as they try to sort out three homicides, two of them cold-case killings from 1993, tied to the former Charleston man.

When detectives went to the 60-year-old’s home in Mount Vernon, N.Y., this week to question him, they found a fresh body in his bed, police said.

All three victims were women. All three were stabbed to death, police said.

Crawford has a long history of violence toward women, and he’s spent nearly half of his life behind bars because of those crimes. In Charleston alone, he stabbed up to 10 women in a series of attacks in the 1970s.

At the time, Crawford lived with his family in a tiny, weathered bungalow on Echo Avenue in Union Heights, a hard-luck neighborhood just a few miles from Charleston’s tourist-friendly downtown.

His parents are said to be dead now, but the current occupant of the home, Mabel Keels, still recalls Crawford. She wasn’t surprised to hear that he was back in trouble.

“Lucius, his mind has always been bad,” she said.

A dangerous week

Crawford moved to New York after serving time for the 1977 stabbing spree, which earned him a 24-year sentence in South Carolina. Court records from that case document the brutality of the attacks and provide some insight into the mind of the serial stabber.

The spree began during a visit to downtown Charleston in which Crawford stabbed two women on April 8 of that year.

The first woman, 28, did nothing more than make the mistake of walking toward him on Columbus Street, he told police. “When she got close to me, I stabbing her (sic) and just walked off on down Columbus Street,” he stated.

Crawford told police he ran around the corner, but later came back to check on his victim, who had since been taken away with a wound to the abdomen. So he started walking around the city some more.

“Then I came across the second girl,” he stated. “She was walking down Hanover Street toward me, and when she got up to me, I had my blue jacket over the hand in which I had my knife. I stabbed her and kept walking down the street.”

His second victim, 17, also was stabbed in the abdomen, police said.

Crawford caught a bus home but returned the following day to stroll and play pinball. During this visit he encountered a 17-year-old girl standing in the front yard of her home on Line Street. He tried start up a conversation.

“I don’t know what we were talking about,” he later told police. “I had the knife in my hand all the time but it was dark and I don’t think she saw the knife. I started stabbing her. I think I stabbed her three or four times, and then she ran into the house.”

The girl’s brother ran out with a brick in his hand and demanded to know why Crawford had stabbed her in the back, hip and arm. “I wanted to fight him or cut his throat but I think if I had a fight with him the police might get me,” Crawford told investigators.

So instead, Crawford took off and grabbed a bus home.

Two more women fall

He laid low for a few days before attacking a 14-year-old girl he encountered as she took a shortcut between two Mott Street homes on her way to Mary Ford Elementary School. The teen told police a strange man approached her and stabbed her as she tried to walk away.

Crawford would later tell investigators he had asked the girl if he could walk with her and be her friend. She told him she already had enough friends. “I told her ‘That’s alright, we still are friends no matter what happens.’?” he wrote in his statement to police.

He kept walking with her until they neared the school. “After we came out of the path, we started talking and I got about two inches in front of her and she didn’t see the knife,” Crawford told police. “Then I turned around and stabbed her. I then walked away and went down the railroad tracks on Accabee Road and went home.”

He went after his final victim of the spree the next day on Meeting Street Road. Crawford told police he spotted a 34-year-old woman he had seen a couple of times.

The woman told police that Crawford, who she didn’t know, asked to walk with her, and he stabbed her in the chest when she refused.

Crawford, in his statement, recalled the incident this way: “I started walking with her. She did not see the knife because I had it in my right hand and it was a pocket knife. After I talked with her, I was not making any headway and I hated to see her leave. So I took my knife and stabbed her three times.”

A police informant would later name Crawford as the man responsible for the stabbings. The victims, all of whom survived, then identified him from a police lineup.

Crawford expressed relief at being caught, but as his lengthy rap sheet shows, the arrest did little to curb his appetite for the knife.

Reach Glenn Smith at 937-5556 or Twitter.com/glennsmith5.